Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Topic: Goldenhill's Mining History
Tom Simpson
Posts: 440

Reputation: 0
Goldenhill's Mining History
on: June 29, 2013, 21:49

In the Goldenhill area Randle Baddeley was digging coal ‘in the lane in Oldcott between Broadfield and Gill Bank’ in or before 1719, while George Sparrow was working in Colclough Lane at the same time. During the early 1730?s Sparrow was mining ‘coal, cannel, and ironstone’ on the Yew Tree Farm estate in partnership with Thomas Hatherton and others. Despite great demand for the products operations were not on a large scale, six workmen being the maximum number employed at any one time. Great expense was incurred in drainage, and there were several old workings, 14 yards and more deep and some 150 yards long, which the partners cleared of the dirt and rubbish filling them. James Brindley had an interest in a colliery at Goldenhill to which he constructed a branch canal from the main Trent and Mersey Canal inside the Harecastle Tunnel; this branch was closed in the late 1820?s. In 1793 Thomas Tunstall was working seams of ‘the big cannel row and little cannel row’ on his Colclough Lane estate, and in the late 1820?s William and James Tunstall were mining at Goldenhill. The Goldenhill Colliery (coal and ironstone) in Colclough Lane was being worked by Robert Williamson in 1841, but though still in operation in the early 1920?s it had been closed by 1931. There was a small colliery at Gill Bank in the early 1890?s and opencast mining on 30 acres of Gill Bank farm from 1943 to 1948. There was still small-scale mining in the Gill Bank area in the late 1950?s.

To visit the North Staffordshire Mining History Group webpage go to

To find out more about Goldenhill Mining History go to & click onto old pits & click G for Goldenhill.

Pages: [1]
WP Forum Server by ForumPress | Lucid Crew
Version: 1.8.2 ; Page loaded in: 0.025 seconds.