Forum

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Topic: Early Memories page 9
david

Early Memories page 9
on: January 27, 2014, 21:33

As rationing was coming to an end after the war sweets became more available.

I have probably mentioned before that Joe Ash’s emporium sold all the sweets a child could want.

By emporium, I don’t mean hundreds of square feet, I mean the little shop on the corner of Albany Street which was probably only 12 feet by 8 feet including the counter.

In my memory Joe was about 5 foot 2 inches tall with a moustache and he always wore his flat cap.

The shop was like Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory to us kids back in the fifties and what about this, because there was very little traffic in those days we were allowed from an early age to cross the main road on our own as long as we looked both ways.

His massive stock range included, Blackjacks, 4 for a penny.

Chix chewing gum allegedly stuck to your ribs if you swallowed it.

Wrigley’s Spearmint Gum was more expensive but longer lasting.

Fruit Salads and Blackjacks four for a penny.

A bag of Kali and a stick of liquorice for a penny each, if you couldn’t afford the liquorice you used your finger and then the finger was stained with colour for days after.

Sherbet Suckers or Sherbet Fountains, with a liquorice straw, the mind boggles.

Spanish Juice and Liquorice Root both of which were laxatives but as long as you don’t know what the word means or what it would do to you, it was ok to eat it.

Love Hearts with “suggestive“ messages on them, “I’m yours” or “be mine” very provocative.

Candy cigarettes had a red tip to make them more realistic looking.

Frozen Jubblys costing threepence and lasted for hours.

A Mars bar was as big as a brick and cost just a couple of pennies.

The Bounty bars were on a small cardboard tray inside the wrapper, I think they were advertised as “a taste of paradise”.

Turkish Delight were “full of eastern promise”.

I don’t know if they are still available but I can remember when Wagon Wheels were first introduced, they were about 4 inches across and took ages to get eat.

Kit Kats were available in 2 bars or 4 bar versions, very pocket money conscious.

Spangles, Smarties, Rainbow Drops, Acid Drops, Pear Drops, Penny Chews, Aero, Caramac, Refreshers, Pontefract Cakes, Aniseed Balls, Uncle Joe’s Mint Balls, Dolly Mixtures, Fruit Pastilles, Wine Gums, Gobstoppers and Coltsfoot, whatever that was.

Victory V lozenges for the sore throat you suddenly developed when you realised that they were there to be had.

Drinks included Dandelion and Burdock, Lemonade, Vimto, Tizer, American Cream Soda and the fresh orange juice from the milk man.

Lucozade you only had that if you were poorly.

Walkers crisps with the blue twist of salt that was always seemed to be at the bottom of the bag, particularly if you were in the cinema.

Penny and twopenny cornets bought from Jim Dutton’s ice cream cart and then later his posh new van.

Pages: [1]
WP Forum Server by ForumPress | Lucid Crew
Version: 1.8.2 ; Page loaded in: 0.01 seconds.