Forum

Guest  

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Topic: Historic Mining Village of Goldenhill
Tom Simpson
Administrator
Posts: 367

Reputation: 0
Historic Mining Village of Goldenhill
on: March 10, 2011, 18:30

Standing at 700 feet above sea level Goldenhill is the highest point in the city of Stoke-on-Trent. Goldenhill was part of the townships of Oldcott and Ravenscliffe, and the civil parish included the hamlets of Latebrook and Line Houses.

Goldenhill’s historical development was largely due to the impact of the Industrial Revolution in terms of both transport and industry. It was situated on the main road to Manchester and Newcastle- under-Lyme, which was turnpiked in 1763. The Trent and Mersey Canal passed to the west of Goldenhill and this enabled the transportation of both natural and manufactured products in and out of the Potteries.

The building of the Harecastle tunnel at Kidsgrove led to the discovery of coal in the area. James Brindley, the canal engineer, built a branch canal connecting the Harecastle tunnel to an underground wharf at Goldenhill where he had a share in the colliery.

Coal, ironstone mining and pottery were the main industries for the area. The Goldenhill Colliery, which excavated both coal and ironstone, was owned by Robert Williamson in 1841, but by 1931 it had closed. Another small colliery was being worked at Gill Bank in the 1890s and there was opencast mining at Gill Bank Farm during the 20th century. Iron ore was being worked at the furnace at Latebrook at least in the early 19th century.


Pages: [1]
WP Forum Server by ForumPress | Lucid Crew
Version: 1.8.2 ; Page loaded in: 0.007 seconds.